HGV Training (Cat C+E) Class 1 Coming soon

HGV Training (Cat C+E) Class 1 Coming soon

HGV Training (Cat C+E) Class 1 Coming soon

Various industries rely on HGV drivers, and learning to drive HGVs can open up a vast range of career opportunities. This means that requirements for becoming a HGV driver are more rigid, and standards are higher than before. Our competitive Cat C training will allow you to drive any rigid vehicle weighing over 7.5 tonnes. 

Please note you must be 18 years of age to hold a HGV licence. If between the ages of 18 and 21, you will have to complete an additional Initial Driver CPC qualification. You will also have to complete this if you plan on driving commercially. 

Before you start, you are required to have a Full UK driving licence as well as have applied for a Provisional HGV driving licence. Additionally, you will need to complete a D2 form and have a registered doctor complete a D4 form (both available from the DVSA) to ensure it is safe for you to drive. There is also a required medical examination to be completed before training commences, which can cost anywhere from £50-£120. 

Just like your initial driving test, there is a theory test for HGV vehicles, consisting of the same multiple choice and hazard perception structure. Once you are ready for practical training, our instructors will help you gain the experience to bring you up to test level. The minimum recommended time is usually around 5 days, but it can take longer. Your first test usually lasts 90 minutes and will require you to showcase ability to drive the HGV vehicle under different circumstances. There will also be a reversing exercise. Finally, the CPC qualification is the second test for many, which requires you to demonstrate your knowledge gained through training with us through TDA. However, your knowledge is to be shown practically, rather than through words or answers like on a theory test. Because of its commercial nature, expect to learn about daily vehicle checks, load restraints and more as part of your training. 

Once both tests have been passed you will be able to start work as a HGV driver, but your training will not necessarily be complete. In order to maintain your licence, you will be asked to complete additional hours of training across the next five years. 

Additionally, once you have a valid Cat C licence, you can obtain a Cat C+E licence. You may also want to enquire about doing a combined course with TDA to earn both licences together. The Cat C+E licence allows you to drive anything from a tractor unit towing a long trailer, or any cat C vehicle towing a trailer. There is no theory test required, with only a practical test that typically will last. 1.5 hours 

The Cat C+E test consists of: 

  • Show Me Tell Me C+E 
  • General road driving (on-road) 
  • Independent driving (on-road) 
  • Reverse Manoeuvre (off-road) 
  • Trailer Uncouple and Recouple exercises (off-road) 

You must pass a driving test in a car before you take a test for either of these categories. If you want to drive lorries you must get category C entitlement. To drive buses you must get category D entitlement. You can apply for both entitlements. To do this you must send us an Application for a lorry, bus or minibus licence (D2) together with a Medical Examination Report (D4) filled in by an optometrist/optician and a doctor. You must also take and pass a driving test in a lorry or bus.

© Copyright Trainee Driving Academy | All Rights Reserved. Developed by Tarka Web Design