Driving a lorry or bus.

You must pass a driving test in a car before you take  a test for either of these categories. If you want to drive lorries you must get category C entitlement. To drive buses you must get category D entitlement. You can apply for both entitlements. To do this you must send us an ‘Application for a lorry, bus or minibus licence’ (D2) together with a ‘Medical Examination Report’ (D4) filled in by an optometrist/optician and a doctor. You must also take and pass a driving test in a lorry or bus.

HGV Training (Cat C)

arious industries rely on HGV drivers, and learning to drive HGVs can open up a vast range of
career opportunities. This means that requirements for becoming a HGV driver are more rigid, and
standards are higher than before. Our competitive Cat C training will allow you to drive any rigid
vehicle weighing over 7.5 tonnes.

Please note you must be 18 years of age to hold a HGV licence. If between the ages of 18 and 21, you
will have to complete an additional Initial Driver CPC qualification. You will also have to complete
this if you plan on driving commercially.
Before you start, you are required to have a Full UK driving licence as well as have applied for a
Provisional HGV driving licence. Additionally, you will need to complete a D2 form and have a
registered doctor complete a D4 form (both available from the DVSA) to ensure it is safe for you to
drive. There is also a required medical examination to be completed before training commences,
which can cost anywhere from £50-£120.

Just like your initial driving test, there is a theory test for HGV vehicles, consisting of the same
multiple choice and hazard perception structure.

Once you are ready for practical training, our instructors will help you gain the experience to bring
you up to test level. The minimum recommended time is usually around 5 days, but it can take longer.
Your first test usually lasts 90 minutes and will require you to showcase ability to drive the HGV
vehicle under different circumstances. There will also be a reversing exercise.

Finally, the CPC qualification is the second test for many, which requires you to demonstrate your
knowledge gained through training with us through TDA. However, your knowledge is to be shown
practically, rather than through words or answers like on a theory test. Because of its commercial
nature, expect to learn about daily vehicle checks, load restraints and more as part of your training.
Once both tests have been passed you will be able to start work as a HGV driver, but your training
will not necessarily be complete. In order to maintain your licence, you will be asked to complete
additional hours of training across the next five years.

© Copyright Trainee Driving Academy | All Rights Reserved. Developed by Tarka Web Design